Thursday, October 27, 2011

Public Service Announcements

Now that I have identified "social media" as one of my keywords, I was thinking about websites that have not yet been brought up yet in the news articles I have read.  One of these is YouTube.  Anyone can create and upload a video to YouTube and share it with the online world.  It is considered a "content community" type of social media website according to Wikipedia

When I searched "cyber-bullying" on YouTube, I was about given 15,800 results.  There were homemade videos, clips from news websites, and different public service announcements.  Two specific videos that I found very effective are posted below.  They are from the Ad Council were uploaded by the OhioCommissionDRCM.





I think the message of these videos are very powerful.  Watching these hurtful words come out of seemingly sweet little girls seems strange and wrong.  But, it can be girls that look like this who say mean things online to others.  I have mentioned and quoted others in previous entries about how people feel more comfortable hiding behind a computer or a text message and then saying things that they never would in person.

I also agree with a comment on the first video that reads: "The only thing I disagree with about this ad campaign is the advice to delete. I would absolutely print it out and bring it to the offender's school teachers and principal. I'd also save it in case legal action becomes necessary. I wouldn't destroy the evidence." I know that I have been discussing cases in which the outcome has been extreme (suicide of the victim).  But, after re-interviewing the people that I did about the bullying and cyber-bullying at my high school, it never seems to early to keep hurtful conversations if you ever need to hold someone accountable for the things that they say through social media.

No comments:

Post a Comment