Thursday, October 27, 2011

Social Media Prevention Measures


The extremely popular websites Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube have been doing their part to provide resources and tips for what to do if you or someone you know is a victim on their website.
On Facebook, I went  to the “Help Center” which I could find just under the “Log Out” button on the top navigation bar.  On that page, I saw a section titled “Report Abuse and Policy Violations” which listed: Spam, Hacked accounts, Impersonated Profile, Bullying, and Intelletual Property Infringement as examples of this.  On the next page, the “Bullying” link can be found under “Report a Violation” and I have included the screenshot below.

On Twitter, I basically found the “Help” section in the same way.  It was located on my top navigation bar by the button used for logging out of an account.  The Twitter Help Center is divided into sections and under “Report a violation” the examples include: Hacked accounts, reporting spam, trademark violations, impersonation, and safety…The link that I thought would be most helpful if I was dealing with a bully was under “Safety Center” and titled “Abusive Users.”  On that page, which I have a screenshot of below, the first section is about how to not be a bully on Twitter.

 
On YouTube, I scrolled to the bottom of the page and found a link titled “Safety.”  When you reach the Safety Center, there is a list where you can click which issue applies to you.  I selected “Harrassment and Cyberbullying” which led me to a page where I could select “United States.”  That lead me to the page that I have a screenshot of below.  In addition to that information, there is a video (obviously) entitled Cyberbullying: Solutions for Parents and the National Crime Prevention Council’s “Tips for preventing cyberbulling.”
 

No comments:

Post a Comment